Saladu Nebbe (Senegalese Black-Eyed Peas Salad)
Saladu nebbe is a black-eyed peas salad from Senegal. This salad is fresh, healthy and yummy.
Servings: 4 people
- 1 cup dry black-eyed peas
- 5 stalks green onions (chopped)
- handful of parsley (chopped)
- ½ English cucumber (diced)
- 1 red bell pepper (seeded and diced)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (chopped into quarters)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (seeded and diced)
- 1 lime (juiced)
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
Soak the black-eyed peas in water overnight or for at least 8 hours. Strain the water from the beans and wash the beans under cold running water.
Pour the beans into a pot. Add 7 cups of water and ½ teaspoon of kosher salt to the beans.
Put the pot on the stove, cover the pot and bring the beans to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat and let the beans simmer for 1 hour or until the beans are tender.
Mix together the olive oil, lime juice, black pepper, and ½ teaspoon of kosher salt in a small bowl to make a salad dressing.
In a salad bowl, add and mix together all the remaining salad ingredients.
Drain the water from the cooked beans and then add the beans to the salad. Pour the dressing onto the salad and mix everything together.
Place the salad in the fridge and let it marinade for at least 1 hour until serving.
- You can use canned black-eyed peas instead of the dried ones if you want a quicker way to make this salad. Just strain the liquid from the canned beans and add the beans to the salad.
- Saladu nebbe can be served cold or at room temperature.
Calories: 293kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 597mg | Potassium: 722mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1347IU | Vitamin C: 59mg | Calcium: 72mg | Iron: 4mg