Shrimp ceviche is a great dish to make for hot summer days when you want something cool and refreshing to eat. It’s also a great make-ahead meal and never fails to please as an appetizer for parties.
What is Ceviche?
Ceviche is a Latin American dish that has become popular throughout the Americas and other parts of the world; it’s the national dish of Peru. Ceviche is seafood that’s cured in lime, lemon and/or other citrus juice. The acid in the citrus juice “cooks” the raw seafood by denaturing the proteins in the seafood. Because the seafood is not cooked with heat, ceviche should be kept cool and consumed fresh to minimize the risk of food poisoning.
How to Make Shrimp Ceviche?
To make shrimp ceviche, wash and chop 1 lb of raw shrimp and place the shrimp in a mixing bowl. You can use any size of shrimp for this dish but if using large shrimp (as I did), it’s good to chop them into smaller pieces (about 1/2 inch). Doing this will make the shrimp cure faster and easier to scoop up and eat with the other ingredients in the dish. Add 1 cup of freshly squeezed lime juice (fresh lemon juice can also be used) to the shrimp.
Chop 1 large jalapeno pepper lengthwise, seed the pepper and chop into cubes. Chop 1 cup of cherry tomatoes about the same size as a shrimp. Take 1 small red onion and chop it close to the same size as the jalapeno pepper. Add the chopped jalapeno, cherry tomatoes and red onions to the shrimp. Mix well and cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
Place the bowl in the fridge for at least 4 hours; the lime juice will turn the shrimp pink and make it firmer, like when it’s cooked with heat. When the ceviche is ready to be served, season it with salt (to taste). Pour out most of the lime juice from the bowl. Chop 2 avocados into 1/2 inch pieces and add them to the ceviche. Gently mix the avocados to the other ingredients using a spoon. Garnish the ceviche with fresh cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips. Enjoy!
- 1 lb shrimp (chopped into ½ inches)
- 1 large jalapeno pepper (seeded and chopped into cubes)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (chopped into quarters)
- 1 small red onion (chopped into cubes)
- 1 avocado (chopped into ½ inches)
- 2 sprigs cilantro (for garnish)
- 1 cup lime juice (freshly squeezed)
- ½ tsp salt (or to taste)
- Place the shrimp in a mixing bowl and pour the lime juice on the shrimp, mix well.
- Add the jalapenos, tomatoes, and onions to the shrimp.
- Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to chill for a minimum of 4 hours.
- Pour out most of the lime juice from the bowl, season the ceviche with salt.
- Add the avocados to the ceviche, gently mix well and garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serve with tortilla chips