Emudro is a Ghanaian ginger drink that is not your average ginger drink. The drink is made so that ginger has a very strong profile. Lime juice is included to add a zesty flavor to the drink. Emudro is usually made with sugar but I decided to make a diet version of the drink by using stevia instead of sugar. Some Ghanaians swear that emudro has medicinal properties; the word emudro roughly translates to internal medicine in English. However, if you’re sick, please go and see a doctor and not use this drink as a medicine. Just enjoy it for the refreshing ginger drink that it is.
How to Make Diet Emudro
You only need 5 ingredients to make this drink: 4 pieces of ginger (3 large ones and 1 small one), 2 limes, 5 peppercorns, 1/3 a cup of stevia, and 6 cups of water. Wash the 3 large gingers thoroughly with water and then roughly chop them, leaving the skin on. Pour the chopped ginger into a blender with 2 cups of water and the peppercorns. Blend the ginger, water and peppercorns then strain the mixture with a small sieve strainer. Use a spoon or your hands to press the liquid from the ginger pulp.
Once the liquid is separated from the pulp, throw the pulp out and add the remaining cups of water to the liquid. Pour the emudro into a medium saucepan. Wash and roughly chop the remaining ginger and put them into the drink, this will infuse more ginger into the drink without making it as spicy as it would be if you blended it with the rest of the ginger. Bring the emudro to a boil over medium heat for 5 minutes, then remove it from the heat and let it cool completely. Use the small sieve strainer to strain the emudro into a drink container. Add the juice of two limes and the stevia to the emudro and mix well. Place the container in the fridge until the drink becomes cold, then it’s ready to serve.
Alternatives to this Recipe
Emudro doesn’t have to be served cold, you can drink it while it’s hot. Drinking it hot can help to relieve sore throat when you have a cold.
To have hot emudro, just let it cool down a bit after removing it from the heat. Strain it into a heat safe container and then add the lime juice and stevia. Serve it in a mug while it’s hot.
I make my emudro to be on the milder side. If you want a really strong emudro, add more ginger when you’re blending the ginger and/or leave the ginger slices in the emudro for a longer time.
If don’t want to make a diet version of emudro, then replace the stevia with ½ a cup of sugar.
Other Drink Recipes That You Might Like
Diet Emudro (Ghanaian Ginger Drink)
- 4 gingers (3 large and 1 small)
- 2 limes (juiced)
- 5 peppercorns
- 1/3 cup stevia
- 6 cups water
- Wash and roughly slice the gingers, leaving the skin on. Set the small ginger that you washed and sliced aside.
- Pour the ginger into a blender and add the peppercorns and 2 cups of the water. Blend the mixture and then strain with a small sieve strainer. Press the liquid from the ginger pulp using a spoon or your hand.
- Once the liquid has been separated from the pulp, throw out the pulp and add the remaining cups of water to the liquid.
- Pour the emudro into a medium saucepan. Add the remaining ginger slices to the pot and bring the emudro to a boil over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Let the emudro cool completely and then strain it into a drink container using the small sieve strainer. Add the lime juice and the stevia to the emudro and mix well.
- Place the container in the fridge until the emudro becomes cold, then it's ready to serve.